Friday, April 19, 2013

A Little About Myself and How I Got Here............





I was born in a small coal mining town in West Virginia. From the beginning I was an animal person. I was an only child for quite a few years and the animals were my playmates. When I was about 5 years old the family moved to Chicago, which is where I spent most of my life.
 
 
 
  My first career was animal oriented. I opened a dog grooming shop,started showing a toy poodle in obedience then added a dog training school for home and dog show competition. Over the years I showed several different breeds of dogs and eventually turned to judging.
 
 
 
 
 
  During an casual conversation with a friend, we were speaking about the zoo in Chicago, and I mentioned how I would love to work in the nursery there. She said...."Why don't you apply?" And I did just that! It took me several years and several applications before I got chosen for an interview. I nailed it. Best interview I've ever given and I got to work in the nursery.
 


 
 
  Over the years I worked with most species of animals. As a whole, the big cats and reptiles were my favorites but each animal that I worked with was my favorite. I felt I was truly blessed to work with such special animals. All of them! I retired from the zoo several years ago and then my life took a huge turn. 
 
 
 
 
  I went from my father's house to my husband's house, never on my own. Both were overbearing and controlling. My husband died and suddenly I was free. I can't even explain how happy I was to finally have MY life. I get to make decisions about my own life. Right or wrong they are mine. It's euphoric. I broke free from negative,
demeaning people and decided I was gonna LIVE my life.
   I have been drawn to Mexico even as a small child. I've always liked anything Mexican. During my years at the zoo I met and made friend with many Mexican people. I loved to hear their stories over coffee, before work. I was drawn more and more into my attraction of Mexico, One day on the way to work, ( I had a long drive, as lived about 55 miles away from work, so had a lot of time to think ), I would think about where I would like to live if I ever got the chance to make that decision. All of a sudden it was like a jolt ,an epiphany..........MEXICO! Eventually my life changed. I was retired, alone now, time for action. About this time my good friend invited me to go to Mexico. That trip changed my life forever.  
  As soon as my feet hit the ground at the airport I felt as if I belonged here. I decided after only a few days that I wanted to live here and proceeded to pick a piece land and a friend drew up the house plans.. My other friend went back to Chicago and I stayed here another week by myself. I had met many nice people during the first week but language was a big barrier so I was pretty much on my own. Each day made me more sure that I was right about my decision to move here. I needed to act, no time to sit and ponder about it and waste away days of my new life. I'm on the threshold of my dream.

  
                                                      Beautiful Mexico







3 comments:

  1. Oh Nancy, I haven't seen that pic of you and Mom in years. It brought tears to my eyes! Thank you so much for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I am so grateful for the day you accepted my friend request. Your story is an inspiration and a blessing! So happy to see you free and living your dream. (((HUGS))), Love Chrissy Lamborn

    ReplyDelete