Monday, October 7, 2013

EXPO CAN MEXICO 2013

 
 
 
   I have a friend on Facebook, Alberto, that shows his Corgis, handles other breeds, used to be an Obedience and Agility judge and also teaches protection work.
 

 

 
 
   How we first became FB friends I don't remember.  I have been searching for almost a year trying to get reconnected to dog shows. About a month or so ago he sent me a message saying there was a big dog show in Mexico City, DF ( Mexico City, Distrito Federal,is the capital of Mexico, like Washington DC is the capital in the USA.). This is the biggest dog show in Mexico, and why don't I come down? I could accompany him while he showed his dogs. I was discussing this with another friend that said he had cousins there that would take me around the city. Well, here's my chance to go to a prestigious dog show AND see the city. Didn't take me long to say " Here I come!"
 
   About two weeks before I was to leave Alberto asked if would like to judge some Obedience. "Sure." I said. "But I don't speak Spanish!"  He said he would send me the Regulations, which were in Spanish, about 35 pages worth of translating.! So now my task is translating all that. I used Google Translate, which I use occasionally. I got about twenty seven pages done then ran out of ink. There was NO ink in town so I needed to drive into Ajijic, about two hours away from me, to Walmart. Finally I get it all copied and start reading. The translations left something to be desired. Fortunately it's very similar to the Regs in the States. One of the funnier translations was for the Sits/ Downs. For the sit, it said.  "on the judges command the handler will sit the dog."  Good, I understand that. Then for the down it said, "on the judges command the handler will kick the dog." And there were other things just as funny. 
  I decided to learn all the commands I needed in Spanish and I had one week to do it in. No way. I was afraid I would forget something and screw the handler up. So I requested a translator, which was not a problem. The translator would call the exercises and I would just judge. I would have liked to run the ring as an AKC judge but there wasn't enough time to work with the translator, who was also an Obedience judge .Thank goodness because AKC heeling is just way too simple compared to what they do. But it would have been fun. Maybe next time. So off I go as prepared as I could be in such a short time.
 

                                                Beautiful clouds out the airplane window.
 
 

                  These are the Regulations. I think this spiral would be a good idea in the States.
 
 
   
   Alberto picked me at the airport. There is a huge teachers strike going on and they had the airport blocked but I came in mid-day and it had cleared. Thank goodness. I don't speak fluent Spanish yet and would have not been happy trying to navigate Mexico City alone.
 
 
 
  From the airport we went to Alberto's kennels.  His brother is the resident vet and his father manages it. Many businesses here are family operated. He has a family that lives there and they work for him maintaining the dogs, grounds, anything that's needed. It's a husband, wife, child and grandfather. Very nice situation. The older generations are respected, honored and included. No nursing homes. I had heard someone built one outside of my town and no one came. It shut down...    but I digress...................
 
 
 
 
The kennel grounds, beautifully landscaped
 
 
So we grabbed a bite to eat and off to the hotel. Had to be ready to go the next morning at 6:00.
The hotel was one of the cleanest that I've stayed in. Most hotels smell musty, no matter how clean. This one didn't. And it had a cool name, omen maybe, for a good dog show???
 

 
 
   All my judging equipment is still in the States but I found out you don't need all the things AKC judges use.The organization had a measurer for the BJ, you don't need score sheets, however I had made some up before I knew that and several judges were interested in them. And you don't need chalk. I had about a week to study the Regs but they are very similar to AKC. Some differences are...... If you NQ an exercise you are excused, when you use the dogs name with a verbal command you have to hesitate several seconds after the name before giving the command, dogs are NQ'd for falling asleep on the sit or down, there is no 4' of room rule for sits/downs.
   The order of the exercises are a little different. Group exercises are done first, if the handler and dog are not there they are marked absent. There is the Seek Back exercise instead of the Directed Retrieve in Utility and the order of exercises is different. Moving Stand first, then Seek back, Signal Exercise, Scent Discrimination and Directed Jumping. In Open there are no chalk marks or marking of any kind on the floor and traffic cones are used for Figure 8's and left in the ring. For the Figure 8 they go half around then halt, one and a half around and halt or the opposite. The halts are on the turns. It doesn't have to be done this way, that's just the way they do it. The judges use a clicker and record directly into the Judges Book on their clip board. Also judges hesitate several seconds before giving an order, I saw no anticipation.The handlers don't ask about their performance, they can but no one seems to do it. Heeling patterns are very long with many halts.The heeling pattern is not given to the first handler unless they ask. I never saw one ask. Ring size is similar to AKC. The rings at this show were nice and roomy. Also some Judges gave multiple changes of pace for slow and/or fast. Ring barriers are very different as you can see in the pictures. And the dogs didn't go through them.
 
This is the Novice with the Open going on in the rear ring. The three signs that you see in the middle separate the two rings.
 
                                                                Moving Stand in Utility
 
 
 Utility. The judge calling commands is in the foreground
 
You can see the ring dividers behind the handler. They did their go-out towards that. No problem.
 
 
  I have several videos, the best one of heeling (and of the dog that won) is sideways and I can't get it upright. I also had to shorten my videos so I could send them to my computer.
 
Drop on recall
 
Grad Novice
 
                                                                             run off
 
 
   The competition ended Sunday with some run-offs determined by a very long heeling pattern and a long novice recall. I really don't know how a winner was determined. I guess a culmination of all the days of showing. It did end up being a run-off between two dogs, The young man with the doberman won the show. He was so happy he cried. There were a lot of placings of some kind but I didn't understand what was going on. The people that placed under me on Saturday had me sign their rosettes. I don't know if that's tradition or just because I was a foreign judge. I also had to sign their point cards. So it seems it was a special competition but also counted towards titles. Here are pictures of the placers in my classes on Saturday.............
 
   
 
                                                                                                                                                     
        

                                            
  
                                                                                   

                                                                             
     

                                                                          
 
 
                                                    And the performance judges..................
 
 
    These dogs could have easily competed in AKC shows but I don't think the dogs from the States could compete down here.The whole show was extremely noisy and the dogs paid no mind to the loudness. Also spectators can bring their dogs, so there were pet dogs all over the show, most on loose leashes and I saw no aggression of any kind.  There was a ring on the other side of the aisle from Obedience where they were doing relay races with much audience participation and a loud speaker encouraging them even more. In the next hall, at one time, there was a live Mariachi band playing and people cheering, it was someone's birthday from the show. Thousands of spectators, children hanging over what barriers there were, even walking into the ring. No one got upset, the dogs continued to work, not responding to all the confusion, Occasionally someone knocked over a ring barrier....... no problem, team continued to work, barrier set back up. The handlers were very good. I never saw one adapt their speed to the dog, use exaggerated signals or scream commands. They were excellent. The dogs performances were varied like in AKC trials. There were some that could score very high in the States. The breeds were varied. The English Bulldog is the most popular dog in Mexico so there were some in Obedience, Labs, Dobes. Shepherds,bull breeds, a nice variety of dogs. I'm not quite sure what is required to get a title. I read in the Regs five shows, three different judges but qualifiers are given cards with points on them, it seems you have to earn a certain amount of points. Same thing in breed.
 
 
My judges badge and gift......a
                                                        commemorative  watch
 
TO BE CONTINUED......................................
 
   
 
   
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment